A blog dedicated to the researchers who dyed a captured chimp's fur pink, then released it. The other chimps promptly tore it to pieces.

Friday, August 17, 2007

You know, I really love cool new technology stuff

.
But I really hate needless complexity that serves absolutely no purpose. Which brings me to this little goodie, the Logitech MX 3200 Laser wireless keyboard and mouse.

Purty, ain't it? See that little window at the top center? That's a LCD panel. With a clock/calendar. A clock/calendar which has to be SET MANUALLY WITH THE KEYBOARD! It does not pull the time from the system - you have to key it in, same with the date.

Which means if the battery dies, the clock has to be reset. Manually. It's not like it's any big deal, but it's one more goddamn thing you have to remember how to do. And for what? So you can look at the time on your fucking keyboard? THERE'S A GODDAMN CLOCK IN THE CORNER OF YOUR SCREEN - what the FUCK is wrong with THAT clock? You're not supposed to be looking at the keyboard anyway - you're supposed to be looking at the screen. That's why they call it TOUCH typing.

And keep in mind that this is a KEYBOARD. It's in constant communication with the system. So why can't it grab the time and date while it's communicating?

4 Comments:

  • At 9:09 PM, Blogger Anntichrist S. Coulter said…

    Heh heh heh heh heh heh... See why I don't bother with wireless? I had a wireless mouse once, but then I let my demon-spawn nephew (then 7) play pinball or some such shit on my computer, and I don't know what the fuck he did to it, but on a BRAND-NEW WIRELESS MOUSE, he somehow managed to kill it in TWENTY MINUTES.

    And that wasn't the FIRST wireless mouse, that was the SECOND, 'cause the FIRST had crapped-out on me after TWO DAYS, and I hadn't even DROPPED IT.

    And man, does it make me feel old and nostalgic to see somebody using the words, "TOUCH TYPING," as opposed to "keyboarding" which is just SO wrong on SO many levels, I can't even enunciate all of them. *sigh* And that's a JUNIOR-HIGH REQUIRED COURSE!!!

    When you ask kids if they know how to "type," they look at you like you just had a stroke.

    And not a "keystroke," either.

    *sigh*

    I've seen the "keyboarding" classes, and frankly, I still prefer the way I learned, on an IBM Selectric (?) with those expensive-ass type balls. I had a really fun typing class, the jackass who sat across from me used to steal my type ball if he got to class before I did, but when I did it to HIM, the teacher would bawl me out for 10 minutes about how much those fucking things cost. Buzzkill old biddy.

     
  • At 4:23 AM, Blogger Realist said…

    It's not the wireless part that gets me - it's the idea that you have to MANUALLY set the clock on a device that's constantly in communication with the system. Very poor engineering if you ask me - I'd either have figured a way to get the date and time from the system or left off the clock entirely.

     
  • At 9:17 PM, Blogger Anntichrist S. Coulter said…

    Y'know, I had something really witty to say in response, dammit, and now I have no fucking clue what it might've been.

    Drugs kill brain cells, in case you haven't noticed. So do prolonged severe pain, stress, and poverty.

    And I'm starting to think that abandoned tame cats do the same fucking thing, honestly.

    YOU NEED THESE BOY CATS, you DO realize that, right?

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Blogger Mt said…

    Realist: I suppose you need to set the clock manually because of the time difference between the computer and the keyboard. A LOT of things can get lost in THAT space, trust me. I still have one of those groovy Gateway systems that came out in '97 with the HUGE FUCKING monitor, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse/remote control (cuz it was your TV too) and Harmon surround-a-sound. We played a lot of Quake on that sucker my friend and I swear to gawd that whenever I got deaded it was because of That Damn Space in between the computer and the keyboard!

    Annti: mice must be fed a regular diet or they WILL die in 2 days!

    Mt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home