A blog dedicated to the researchers who dyed a captured chimp's fur pink, then released it. The other chimps promptly tore it to pieces.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Aw, jeez - not again!

.
Has anyone else noticed how every time Steve Jobs farts, some idiot writes a column about the Macintosh taking over the computer world?

Apple's Mac Set to Soar

The stars have aligned for Apple's share of the computer market to explode.


Don't get me wrong - the Mac is a fine machine. It ought to be for what you pay for it.

I'm posting this from a Compaq I bought online at BestBuy - discontinued model on closeout for $199 brand new. Tax and shipping brought it to a little over $245. A $25 stick of RAM and a $25 video card from Amazon, along with a used 21" CRT monitor for $30 off Craig's List, and I've got a pretty sweet little system (gig of RAM, 160 gig HD, dual layer DVD burner) for $325.

Know what Steve Jobs will sell you for $325? An iPod.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, Steve likes them prices high! Less than 5% market share is the way he likes it.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I bought one of the original iMacs in 1999. I replaced it in 2003 with a new iMac - not because the first one crashed or stopped working, but because the new one had features I needed. Nearly four years on, it works great.

    I still have my old iMac. It's eight years old, and it works perfectly. Meanwhile, during the same time period, my PC-addicted wife has had two Dells and a Hewlett-Packard. Three cheap pieces of garbage now cluttering a landfill somewhere. There's a reason why I've always said that "PC" stands for "Piece of Crap."

    I'll pay the extra money for a computer that lasts more than two or three years. It's worth it to me.

    Ken

     
  • At 5:12 PM, Blogger Realist said…

    I'll pay the extra money for a computer that lasts more than two or three years. It's worth it to me.

    I have an old Librex 386SX-20 notebook I bought in 1991 that still works, although it won't run anything but DOS. (and the battery is of course dead) Also a Gateway 2000 Pentium 166 that works like a charm. (runs Windows 98 - I use it mostly for old DOS games that won't run on a modern system)

    Your wife must be tough on computers - probably one of those people who bangs on the case when they get frustrated.

    And it's a good thing you don't mind paying, 'cause the extra money you pay for the computer is just the beginning. Need an application for your Mac, like, say, Photoshop? Oops - look at that. Mac version is harder to find and more expensive.

    Want to play that cool free online game the Army puts out? Ooops, sorry - it's not available for Macs. In fact, a whole lot of really cool freebies we Windows users take for granted aren't available for the Mac.

    Sure, there's plenty of great software for Macs. But most of it costs you, just like the Mac itself costs you more.

    It takes a true philanthropist to give away something to people you KNOW will pay, and pay a premium price.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home