A blog dedicated to the researchers who dyed a captured chimp's fur pink, then released it. The other chimps promptly tore it to pieces.

Friday, March 04, 2005

Update on Dell Spyware

Yesterday's Dell laptop adventure proved to be even more of a challenge than I initially suspected. After formatting the drive and reinstalling XP Pro, I discovered that this model apparently doesn't come with a Resource CD like previous Dells my company purchased.

No big deal, except for one thing - all the drivers for the machine are on the Resource CD. So I got to spend an hour or so downloading all the drivers from Dell's site and burning them onto a CD so I could get the laptop working properly. No big deal, just time-consuming and annoying.

For a non-technical person, however, this problem would make it difficult (if not impossible) to reload the machine and get rid of the spyware without considerable technical assistance. Yeah, I did it - but I work in IT and have the necessary skillset to handle a problem like this. Joe Six-Pack probably doesn't.

Anyway, I made a Ghost image from yesterday's laptop and used it to load the other two, so it all worked out okay, I guess. It still bugs the shit out of me that Dell would pull something like this, though. Idiots.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I recently purchased a PC from dell that came preinstalled with dell's spyware. My browser settings were hijacked to the dell my way site. dell's line on the whole thing was that between the time I uninstalled the Mcaffee AV and installed Norton some bad person must have hacked my system and installed spyware that point my browser to the dell site. I want to know where they are getting their weed from...sounds good.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home